When it comes to ‘boob jobs’, the first thought that comes to many people’s minds are breast enhancements. Breast reduction, or reduction mammoplasty, procedures are gaining popularity in both female and male, for aesthetic and non-aesthetic reasons. During a breast reduction, a plastic surgeon removes some of the skin and tissue from breasts to reshape and reduce the size of the breast.
Celebrity gossip outlets are touting news about breast reductions in celebrities such as Victoria Beckham. According to statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2012 approximately 42,022 aesthetic breast reduction procedures were performed, while 20,723 men underwent breast reduction or gynecomastia, an increase of 5% from 2011. So why is this procedure gaining popularity? According to the Mayo Clinic, the procedure is commonly done to resolve issues such as:
- Sagging breasts or stretched skin – Large breasts can stretch the skin and sag, causing the breasts to have stretch marks.
- Back, neck and shoulder pain – The weight of large breast can cause shoulder to hunch forward, therefore causing strain on the upper back, neck and shoulders.
- Rash or skin irritation under breasts – The rubbing of heavy breasts against the skin can cause irritation.
- Poor posture – This is caused by the weight of the breasts pulling on the shoulders, causing one to hunch over.
- Restricted activity – Often times, large breasts can cause people to be restricted from running or performing other cardio activities.
- Difficulty fitting into clothing
- Low self-esteem and embarrassment – Large breasts can often draw unwanted attention or can cause the body to look disproportionate.
Breast reduction surgery can help resolve these issues. After recovery, patients find that any upper back pain has been relived and they are able to participate in physical activities that they had previously felt restricted from performing. Breasts feel firmer, more evenly proportioned, and lighter, relieving physical discomfort or pain caused by large breasts. Overall self-esteem and self-confidence of patients often increase over the recovery time, as swelling and bruising dissipate. While the results of a breast reduction can be long-lasting, breasts can age over time due to weight change, hormones, and gravity.
Prior to undergoing surgery, it’s important to consult with your plastic surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. Interested in finding out more about a breast reduction? Call our offices to schedule a consultation with our double board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Daniel Golshani.