Traditional hair removal processes, such as waxing, shaving, and tweezing are effective but time-consuming. They don’t deliver a long-term solution for hair removal, plus they often result in nicks, bumps, and ingrown hairs.
Fortunately, technological advancements led to the invention of an innovative hair removal system that not only offered a long-term solution to hair reduction, but also eliminated those irritating little problems. Laser hair removal has been around for over ten years, and is one of the fastest growing systems for removing unwanted hair.
The allure of laser hair removal can be attributed to its convenience, effectiveness, and efficiency. It is a gentle way to permanently reduce unwanted hair from nearly any area of your body. So, how is it done?
The Laser Hair Removal Procedure – What To Expect
Laser hair removal is most ideal when your hair is in the growth stage. But a few days before the treatment, or on the morning of the procedure, the areas to be treated should be shaved. On the actual day of the procedure, you can expect the following:
- Adjustment of the laser equipment according to the color, thickness, and position of the hair being treated. Your skin color is also taken into consideration.
- Depending on the light source used, you and your technician may be required to wear eye protection.
- In some cases, a cold gel or special cooling device may be applied on your skin to protect the outer layers and keep the laser light from penetrating your skin.
- The technician will then illuminate a pulse of light to the treatment section and observe the area for a few minutes to establish that optimum settings were used, while checking for adverse reactions.
When the treatment is complete, you may be given anti-inflammatory creams or lotions, ice packs, or cold water to ease any discomfort.
Since hair grows in cycles, the procedure should be done in a series of 4-6 sessions, so you can schedule your next appointment 4-5 weeks later.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There are numerous advantages of choosing laser hair removal over traditional techniques, including:
- Application on virtually any body area: the technique can be used for facial hair removal, particularly in the chin, upper lip, and eyebrow, as well as other body parts like the chest, back, underarms, arms, back, legs, and bikini, genital, and pubic area.
- Precision: lasers can be used to selectively target dark, coarse hairs, leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Speed: each laser pulse takes a split second to treat many hairs simultaneously, so the technique can treat an area the size of a quarter every second. Small facial areas can be treated in under a minute, while larger areas, like the chest may take around one hour.
- Permanent reduction in unwanted hair, allowing you to enjoy smooth, soft skin immediately after the treatment.
While laser hair removal procedures may seem costly at first, it will save you money in the long run. You won’t have to make endless purchases of razors, depilatory creams, shaving cream, or even have to schedule waxing appointments; hence, the efficiency, effectiveness, and convenience.
Dr. Golshani offers laser hair removal treatment in Beverly Hills through his medi-spa laser clinic. He also offers BOTOX®, other dermal fillers, and skin care products for smooth, wrinkle-free skin. Ask us about our medi-spa clinic @ (310) 274-3481.