Gynecomastia is the medical term for a condition where males have fatty tissue in the breast area, giving their chest a more feminine appearance. This condition is not dangerous medically, but can cause a man to have substantial dissatisfaction with his appearance. If you have ‘male breasts’ you may feel that you are alone. However, it is estimated that hundreds of thousands of men have this condition to some extent. The good news is that there are options to treat male breasts, and Dr. Golshani is an expert in this area.
“15 Years of suffering no more! I owe it all to Dr. Golshani. The procedure is truly life-changing for males.”
Male breast growth is often caused by an imbalance in estrogen & testosterone. Often these fatty deposits are seen in the teen years, and other times they begin later in life. For some men, the fatty tissue deposits in their breast area will resolve on their own. For others, medication may diminish the appearance of excess fat in the chest. However, for most men with gynecomastia, they are unable to find relief without surgery or liposuction.
Typically, these permanent surgical procedures involve the removal of fat and tissue from the breasts resulting in a chest that is better contoured, flatter, and firmer. Many of Dr. Golshani's patients who have undergone Gynecomastia surgery believe that this procedure significantly enhanced their self-confidence and appearance.
Causes of breasts in men
If you have fatty tissue in your breast area, there are many potential causes. Some of the causes of male breasts are:
- Excess estrogen because of environmental factors
- Natural decline in testosterone because of age, paired with rising estrogen. This can be especially pronounced in people who are overweight.
- Side effects of certain medications
- Overactivity in the thyroid
- Side effects of medical conditions affecting the liver or kidneys
- Tumors - although this is very rare
- Deficiencies in certain vitamins or minerals
Benefits of male breast reduction
- Substantial boost in confidence & self-esteem.
- Comfort taking off your shirt
- Improvements in posture
- Enhanced ease during physical activities
- More masculine silhouette
Real case of Dr. Golshani patients
Good candidates for male breast reduction
If you are interested in surgery to reduce male breasts, you might be a good candidate if you are:
- In good overall health
- Close to your ideal body weight.
- Frustrated by excess fatty tissue in one or both breasts.
- Over 18 years old. Dr. Golshani recommends that teenagers wait until after puberty to consider breast procedures, since the tissue in the breast is still developing.
- Good skin elasticity. This is often a factor of age, with older people having less skin elasticity than younger people.
Is male breast reduction covered by Insurance?
In most cases, male breast reduction is considered a cosmetic procedure and not a medically necessary one. Because of this, insurance will not usually cover any of the cost of this treatment. There are rare cases when insurance may cover the surgery, including if you are suffering from extreme pain or a tumor is growing as a result of enlarged breasts. However, we encourage you to check with your insurance provider or to call our office (310) 274-3481 for more information.
Cost of male breast reduction in Beverly Hills
The price of male breast reduction in Beverly Hills varies from surgeon to surgeon, but on average this surgery can cost around $5,500. Remember that the lowest cost option is not always the smartest choice. It is worth paying for a surgeon that you truly trust to perform the best male breast reduction. After a consultation, Dr. Golshani can give you an estimated cost of your treatment options.
Scars after male breast reduction
Many men worry about the scars after surgery to reduce male breast size. The good news is that Dr. Golshani is very skilled at keeping scars to a minimum. He will be honest with you about what scars you can expect, if any, depending on the type of procedure you choose to reduce the size of your breast tissue.
Am I a Good Candidate for Male Breast Reduction?
You might be a good candidate for male breast reduction if you are:
- Healthy and emotionally stable.
- Within your ideal body weight.
- Affected on one or both breasts.
- Over 18 years old. Teens are advised to wait until after puberty as the breasts may still be developing.
- Good skin elasticity.
Is Male Breast Reduction Covered by Insurance?
Unless you are suffering from extreme pain or a tumor is growing as a result of enlarged breasts, then chances are you will not be covered by insurance for male breast reduction. This is considered a cosmetic procedure that is most often performed as a result of psychological reasons. However, we still encourage you to check with your insurance provider or to call our office (310) 274-3481.
Cost of Male Breast Reduction in Beverly Hills?
The price of male breast reduction in Beverly Hills varies from surgeon to surgeon, but an average price to keep in mind for this surgery is currently $5,500.
Will scars be bad?
Most often the incisions heal very well and are cause for little concern.